Filing For Office
Filing Requirements for Local Office
- $5 filing fee for local election; filing fees vary for other offices
- At least 21 years old when assuming office
- Complete and file campaign finance reports
- Eligible voter
- File an Affidavit of Candidacy form in the office of the City Clerk
- Have no other affidavit on file for any other elected office
- Reside in their districts for at least 30 days before the general election
Filing dates will be included on the even numbered years when the dates have been set by the
Minnesota Secretary of State office.
Filing Locations for Local Office (Mayor and City Council)
You can file for local office at:
City of St. James City Hall
P.O. Box 70
124 Armstrong Blvd. S.
St. James, MN 56081
Campaign & Public Disclosure Board
View information on the Minnesota Campaign and Public Disclosure Board.
NOTE: Candidates that file with the City of St. James for the local races will receive a packet of information containing materials regarding campaigning, signage, a precinct map, and information on where other material may be obtained. This packet will be reviewed with the candidates at the time of filing.
Fair Campaign Practices
Find out more about fair campaign practices by reviewing the Minnesota Secretary of State Campaign Manual
Review the Minnesota State Statutes to learn specifics on campaign signage.
- May be posted until ten days following the General Election, as per Minnesota State Statute 211B.045
- May be placed on private property; may not be placed upon public lands or any street rights of way or on private property without the permission of the owner or lessee, St. James City Code 11.70 subdivision 15
- Temporary political signage may be up to sixteen (16) square feet, St. James City Code 11.70 subdivision 15
- Verify Watonwan County's and State of Minnesota/MnDOT policy on placement of signs on County Roads and State Highways