Water Main Breaks

Explaining Water Main Breaks

Water main breaks can happen at any time or any place. A water main break is usually the result of shifting of the earth near the main or the deterioration of the water main itself as the water main ages.


Water main breaks are preformed to the water system to repair broken, corroded, or leaking sections of pipe. The broken pipe section is either replaced or a repair sleeve is placed around the outside of the broken pipe section and clamped into place. During the repair, generally, water service is required to be temporarily disconnected to the area the water main serves. After the pipe is repaired, the main is typically flushed at a fire hydrant in the area to aid in a faster clean up of the water.


Water main break notices are posted on the City website. Residents can sign up for "Notify Me" notices that will be emailed and/or text messaged about water main breaks, as well as other City information.


St. James Water Department personnel are on call at all times to help you with any problems as quickly as possible. If you have any questions or need to report a problem of any kind call City Hall at (507) 375-3241 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm or after hours call the Watonwan County Communication Center at (507) 375-3121.