When do I need to apply for a sign permit?

Sign Permits are required for new, relocated, or redesigned exterior signs within the City of St. James. Exterior signs may be mounted to the wall, free-standing, or monument signs. A sign permit should be approved prior to the construction of a sign. Submit a sign permit with the Zoning Administrator.

The purpose of sign permits are to allow effective signage appropriate to the character of each zoning district, to promote an attractive environment by minimizing visual clutter and confusion, to minimize adverse impacts on nearby property, and to protect public health, safety, and general welfare.

Some temporary signs, such as real estate signs, construction signs, grand opening signs, etc., are permitted without a permit. Temporary signs must follow the St. James City Code § 156.033.B.

Sign Permit Application

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. Do I need a building permit?
3. When do I need to apply for a sign permit?
4. When do I need to apply for a zoning permit?
5. Where can I build a fence?